Bacne (or pimples found on anywhere on your body) can happen to anyone, even people who don’t typically break out on their faces. Just like the pores on our faces, the pores on our backs, chests and other body parts can become clogged with excess sebum, dead skin cells or bacteria (especially from post-workout sweaty clothes and dirty towels).
There are three key facets in treating body acne (and preventing future breakouts): hygiene, products and diet. The steps aren’t drastically different from treating facial breakouts and you can use most facial acne treatments on your body, but it’s important to remember that the skin on the rest of your body isn’t quite as sensitive as the skin on your face. Also, back or chest pimples can sometimes take longer to heal.
1. DO wash clothes, towels and sheets frequently.
Especially towels! If you can’t commit to regular towel washings, consider switching to a set made with antimicrobial fabric, which lowers the threat of transferring bacteria to your skin with every use.
2. DON'T wear cotton clothing when working out.
It may seem breathable, but it actually holds the moisture close to your skin. Wicking fabrics are a better option, since they help your skin stay cool and dry.
3. DON'T wear compression shirts, shorts or pants all the time
– as the super-tight fit can irritate existing breakouts.
4. DO strip off sweaty clothes and shower as soon as possible after a workout or gym session.
The more time the sweat and bacteria are in contact with your skin, the more likely you are to break out. If you don’t have time for a full shower, spritz on a toner to help clarify skin and balance oil.
5. DO choose body acne treatments and products that will help unclog pores and reduce oil production, such as:
With a powerful shower routine that balances pores, oil and bacteria daily, you can be confident in every inch of your skin.
- Step 1: Lather up every day with Power Wash, a lush body wash formulated with exfoliating PHA and Mighty Mineral Complex to deep-cleanse and purify skin.
- Step 2: Follow with Deep Scrub 1-2x a week, so body-buffing sugar + charcoal can massage away extra dirt and dead skin.
- Step 3: Mist post-shower skin with the Once-Over Toner, which preps oily pores with Zinc PCA and exfoliating hydroxy acids to keep out buildup.
- Step 4: Soften skin with Mineral Melt body moisturizer, full of purifying minerals to keep skin’s bacteria in balance.
- Step 5: Admire how amazing your skin looks and feels.
6. DON'T overdo it on cheat day.
Too many bad carbs can exacerbate breakouts. Instead, opt for low glycemic index choices, as well as omega-3 fatty acids found in avocado, salmon and walnuts.
7. DO eat more leafy greens, tomatoes, fish
...and other foods that help fight inflammation.
8. DO visit a dermatologist for body acne treatment if all else fails.
A pro can provide stronger treatment options, such as prescription creams, antibiotics, chemical peels and laser sessions. The derm can also help identify the best back acne scar treatments for your specific type of scarring and/or hyperpigmentation.
How do you treat your body acne? Share in the comments below!